Monday, March 07, 2005

Its official

As of today, two of my teachers have dropped the "f bomb" in class.

To begin with, I would like to have it made clear that ones vocabulary in the classroom is not a basis for judgement and effective teaching. In fact, in the first scenario mentioned, the teacher who surprised us all with his language on the first day of class has turned out to be one of the most passionate and knowledgeable teachers I have. Conversely, the guy today, who has waited until now to use such a word is a poor teacher, independant of his vocabulary.

I guess this is one of the differences between my Catholic High School and Lutheran College. Religion aside, there is more respect, more leeway, and more mediocrity. Getting lost in the system, it seems, can hide the gems. But it can also camoflauge the less appealing. Judging from past experience, I think the Religion department here is very much a good cover and smokescreen.

Atheism and devalualizationizing, two defining characteristics of the 21st century (as long as you don't compare it to any other century.) How on Earth do some of these people worm their way into a college environment?

2 Squibs:

Blogger Jon said...

devalualizationizing is a very scary attempt at a word.

3/07/2005 11:59 AM  
Blogger The Village Idiot said...

I think I added an extra L in there. It should be devaluizationizing.Its not that bad a word: De + value + ization + iZing.

And I do think that the z's could possibly be s's. I've never been sure on when to use which...

3/07/2005 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home