Monday, November 29, 2004

A Blatant Disregard for Anyone but the Self

Have you ever heard the expression “the world is coming to an end”?

People usually say it when they hear about horrible atrocities committed in a locale outside their sphere of influence. Expressing desperation at mankind’s growing cold hearted, ruthless, bloody, and inconsiderate manner, references to the end of the world embody a universal frustration with the ignorant, the selfish, the brutal, and the ignoble.

Instructors at driving schools nationwide caution their pupils to be wary of aggressive drivers. Ski Patrol associations at resorts post signs and warnings to promote skiing or riding under control. Within the last century, it has been made possible to persecute someone for reckless endangerment, vehicular homicide, and for causing death through reckless skiing or riding. People today are increasingly more selfish, aggressive, demanding, violent, and unaware of those who are their fellow passengers to the grave.

Driving to Minneapolis last Wednesday, I was passed by a gangsta in a black Mitsubishi Eclipse who, after tailgating me, changed lanes and blew past me at 75 mph. I was scared shitless when the black blob of turbo-charged POS that suddenly appeared in my mirror, and even more so when he started playing mind games with me, speeding up, slowing down, backing into me at stoplights.

On the ski slopes this year, I saw a snowboarder jump a slow sign opening day at Copper Mountain. Luckily for him, ski patrol was right there and pulled him over. Since then, I’ve been cut off in line by boarders and skiers while trying to get on a lift. I’ve also been part of a near collision in which a skier, speeding straight down the mountain, dove between my sister and me as we were passing each other headed in opposite directions with about 10 inches between us at the time.

On my flight back to Minnesota today, the plane was filled with screaming children. The parents didn’t seem to do much about it. So, the family three rows in front of me switched seats five or six times, their toddler tried to fall asleep in the aisle, and the dad stood in the aisle a few rows back carrying on a conversation while the fasten seatbelt sign was on. Then, the guy in front of me couldn’t sit still. His sudden movements pinched my finger while letting down my tray table. While I was napping on the tray table, he constantly rocked back and forth, banging his seat into my head, and pinching it between table and mount. Finally, when I had given up napping, his rocking motions kept pushing my laptop closed. If people don’t let their children bounce on the seats (thankfully, no one did) what sense does it make to let an adult do so? The last straw was the personal mini DVD player a few rows away with the volume up. If you’re going to listen to your music, use headphones. If you’re going to watch a movie, do the same!

Ever wonder why this is?