Monday, February 07, 2005

Last Night

I am very ashamed of myself.

Yesterday, I accomplished nothing. NOTHING! I flew back to school, replaced the burnt-out headlight in my car, replaced the other headlight so that I'd have 2 beams of the same color and intensity (while it was snowing), checked my mailbox (I am going to MURDER the post office for folding yet ANOTHER book in half to fit it into my box instead of telling me to pick up the package at the window), and sat in my room killing time. And killing more time. And killing even more time.

That's not what I'm ashamed of though. In the evening, people began to make their social rounds. "Oh my gosh, I haven't seen you in forever!" was the noise of the day. Its only been a week, people. Get over it. These friendships don't mean that much to you anyways. So, some people came by, and then their friends came by, and then I went with them to someone else's room... And we watched a movie.

I curse myself, and grind my teeth and foam at the mouth, and shoot myself in the foot for not finding a way out of it. The plan was to get out of it a half hour in... But I couldn't think of anything to say, and I was trapped on a little purple beanbag. At first it seemed too early, then it seemed too late, and I spent about 2 hours watching "White Oleander," a film that tracks a girls moral degradation in the foster care system after her mother is convicted of murder. I think it could have been a decent chick-flick, but as the girl's character deteriorated, so did the movie. By the end, I was rather sick of it and very very ashamed of myself. I am not one of those people for whom dorm life consists of watching movies. Indeed, that was the first movie I've watched socially, from start to finish, all year, but it still is a shameful and pitiful aspect of dorm existence, even in comparison to the meaningless activities of my day.

Thank goodness for homework as it keeps the socialites away?